The Cederberg Traverse, presented by Cederberg Wines
July 13, 2018 @ 5:00 pm - July 15, 2018 @ 1:00 pm
The Cederberg Traverse, presented by Cederberg Wines is a 100km of mountain trail run with 3800m of climbing.
Entries by invitation only
Apply with your recent running CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will run, stumble and crawl through all the iconic Cederberg highlights and visit remote valleys and kloofs that few have ever seen.
You need to be able to look after yourself – Bear Grylls gnawing on scorpions!
The 100km non-stop Traverse!
Cape Nature have confirmed that a significant portion of trails along the Cederberg 100mile route remains closed after the January fires.
Wolfberg to Crystal Pools is not available to us.
It means that the 100 Mile race has to be placed on hold until 2018.
The 100km is a UTMB qualifier!
Endurance points: 4 points
Mountain level: 5
Finisher level: 260
CLICK HERE to register for UTMB
Training Tips and Hints
Camping at Sanddrif
Registration / briefing dinner
Sunday brunch feast
Nature conservation fees
Race snacks and water at CPs
Entry Fee: (2018 TBC)
100km – R3500
Winning Times of 2016: (Download 2016 Cederberg Traverse Results)
Last Runner: 53:31:00
Last Runner: 25:00:25
Winning Times of 2017: (Results here)
Last runner: 26h58min
Race Registration: (2018 TBC)
All runners are highly advised to arrive at Sanddrift after Lunch time on Friday 14th. Registration at Sanddrift will be at 5pm, the briefing and a light meal will follow at 6pm and 7pm respectively.
On the morning of the race, Saturday 15th all runners will leave Sanddrift at 5am, the race will start at 7am at Pakhuise Pass.
Race Info: (2018 TBC)
There are no refunds. If you cannot take part you must find a substitute for your entry. Roll-overs are valid for 1 year ONLY and substitutions do not apply.
En route cut-offs at 7pm at Algeria checkpoints.
Mapped route, not race marked
Pairs are encouraged for safety.
100km- Runners will be transported from Sanddrif to Pakhuis Pass.
Start: Pakhuis Pass
Leg 1: Pakhuise – Algeria (56km)
Leg 2 + Night Marathon: Algeria – Sanddrif (42km)
Marking: Any areas deemed tricky to navigate will be marked.
Detailed route descriptions and Maps will be available on Friday at 6pm for the briefing.
Please see below descriptive tables of 100km Traverse route.
100km: (30 hours to complete)
- Start: Pakhuis Pass
- Time: 7am
- Date: 13 October 2018
- NB: All Cp’s will have EMERGENCY Food and Water
- Finish: Sanddrif
- Time: 1pm
- Date: 15 October
Click here for the route map on Mapometer.
Accommodation: (Rates for 2018 TBC)
Camping: Camping is included in your entry fee. If your family and friends wish to join you for the weekend we are selling campsites at R200 per night. 4 pax per campsite.
1 bedroom cottage (2 Adults) – R1200 per night.
2 bedroom cottage (4 Adults) – R950 per bedroom per night.
3 bedroom cottage (6 – 10 Adults) – R850 per bed per night.
1. Follow the designated route only. This route is ONLY for experienced trail runners. (Sorry, no juniors U21).
2. Obey all instructions from marshals. Failing to listen to instructions, may award you a disqualification.
3. You are required to be self sufficient with water and nutrition – do not rely on water tables, there are none, this is mountain running. There is fresh water in the streams which is pleasant and safe to drink.
4. Equipment – you will need the appropriate gear for the weather on the day. This may be a windbreaker, or a full – blown raincoat and thermal under garments. Head lamp. Be prepared!
5. All runners should take a space blanket, basic first aid kit, and a cell phone (although reception is sketchy).
6. Keep in mind that you are responsible for your own well – being on the trail. Be mindful of your
condition and only do what your body allows. If you have a heart condition or other medical issue, let us know in advance.
7. Absolutely no litter will be tolerated. You can help by picking up any dropped items.
8. Respect Animals – Do not disturb or harass wildlife. Animals scared by your sudden approach may be dangerous.
9. Be friendly to other trail runners, if you see any.
10. Please do not pick wild flowers, chip rocks or gather any other artefacts or trophies. Take photos, leave footprints.
11. Participants indicate acceptance of the rules of The Cederberg Traverse 2016 – (100km Trail Run) by their signature / click on the entry form.
12. Note – Cut off times to be advised.
13. There are no refunds. If you can not take part you must find a substitute for your entry. Roll-overs are valid for 1 year ONLY and substitutions do not apply.
- Trail pack with sufficient capacity for all race kit.
- Waterproof jacket
- Hydration – 2 litres capacity. This is a make or break item.
- Food = nutrition for 12 hours
- Base Layer (preferably thermal)
- Space blanket
- Headlamp with extra batteries.
- Personal GPS
- 6 AA spare batteries if renting a GPS from us.
Algeria Re-Supply: You may hand us a re-supply bag at registration for Algeria stop with fresh socks, special food items, notes of encouragements.
Spare pair of shoes for Algeria transition
Fresh running gear for Algeria
Emergency food supply
Accommodation @ Sanddrif:
Cottages get booked up very quickly, email Caeli for availability in 2018.
Directions to Start / Finish venue Sanddrif:
From Cape Town, take the N7 turn-off on the N1 and, 28 km after Citrusdal, turn right at the Algeria/Cederberg sign. Continue past Algeria and over the Uitkyk Pass (second pass) – about 46 km of gravel road – until you reach Dwarsrivier, home of Cederberg Wines. Total distance from Cape Town: ±250 km; ±3 hours’ drive.